Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Audition Addict

According to http://www.musicalchairs.info/, the closest audition to my area is only a 14.5 hour drive South East to the wonderful world of Orlando, FL for a very exciting sublist audition.

I recently took my first orchestral audition for the Monroe Symphony Orchestra, where I was not offered the job, but was placed on the call list. Even though I did not win, I felt the experience was the most exhilarating, adrenaline rush I have yet to encounter.

I feel like I may have an addiction to a "substance" that is all out of supply, and oh so full of demand.

I am an audition addict. And, I love it.

Unfortunately, however, I fell in love with a very large instrument, with a very small job market. Yet, somehow I am okay with that. I know that all I can do between each audition is make my self a stronger, musical, orchestral musician, rather than just a tuba player.

My end goal in life is not to be a great tuba player.

My end goal in life is to become a great musician.

Will that happen? The odds are defnitely against me.

But if that is my intention, my dream, my calling. I need to get back into the practice room.

1 comment: